Unable to visit us in person because of the Coronavirus? We offer full consultations by phone.

The court system remains in operation with some modifications to their procedures. We are still filing new cases and will work to bring your case to a resolution. We are here to help you with your criminal case, family law matter or other legal needs. We are prepared to handle your case via e-mail and over the phone. Have any questions? Call us now, so we can get you on the phone with an attorney who can help.

Parental relocation after a divorce

Many parents in the Harrisonburg area are divorced. Working out child custody and visitation agreements after a divorce can be a complicated affair. Life does not always stay the same, and sometimes, a parent finds themselves facing the need to move somewhere else. Whether the move is for a job or personal reasons, parental relocation can make child custody complicated.

If a parent wants to move with their minor child, then they must let the court and the other parent know with at least a 30-day notice. The other parent may disagree, and if that is the case, then the court will make the decision. If the court has to decide whether the parent can move with the child, there are certain things they will look into. First, the court will examine whether the move is in the best interest of the child.

A parent may need to show documents and bring other information to the court to help them prove that this move is in the child’s best interest. The court may look at the relationship between both parents and the child, the role each parent has played in the life of the child and what role they will probably play in the future, the willingness of a parent to maintain a close relationship with the child, the ability of the parents to cooperate in the event of a dispute and what the child’s wishes may be, among other factors.

If a parent wishes to relocate with their child, it can be a complicated process in Virginia. But, many times, a parent needs to move because of a new job, a new marriage or another reason. Sometimes, the other parent challenges these moves, and in these cases, it can further complicate the child custody process.

FindLaw Network