Defending Students In Title IX Cases
Title IX is a set of federal laws that apply to colleges and universities. Title IX requires that schools investigate allegations of sexual misconduct by students. These investigations and subsequent penalties are separate from criminal legal proceedings, but the consequences of being found guilty under Title IX can be severe.
At Big Valley Law in Harrisonburg, Virginia, we defend students facing misconduct accusations and fight to protect their rights.
How Does Title IX Work?
Title IX prevents people from being excluded from, denied the benefits of participation, or experiencing discrimination in any education program or activity on the basis of sex. Title IX applies to schools, local and state educational agencies, and other educational institutions that receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Education.
If school administrators know or should reasonably know about an instance of sexual harassment or sexual violence that creates a hostile environment, they are obligated to respond quickly.
School administrators must do everything they can to stop the harassment or violence, provide remedies and prevent it from happening again. School officials must do these things even if a student or parent does not want to file a formal complaint or doesn’t ask them to do anything to correct the situation. Even if there is a criminal investigation associated with the alleged harassment or violence, schools still must conduct their own investigations and enact their own solutions.
These Title IX requirements can create a “rush to judgment” of the accused.
The Accused Have Rights
Under Title IX, rights of the accused include:
- The right to respectful treatment
- The right to choose an adviser
- The right to be interviewed by the investigator
- The right to select potential witnesses to be interviewed
- The right to present information and evidence to the investigator
- The right to clear up conflicting information that the plaintiff or witnesses provide
- The right to not participate in the investigation or be interviewed
- The right to not have that decision held against them
- The right to be informed of the outcome of sexual harassment or sexual violence allegations made against them
Big Valley Law Is Experienced In Title IX Cases
If you are being investigated in a Title IX case, it is imperative to gain legal representation immediately. Big Valley Law is ready to represent college students from the following area institutions:
- James Madison University
- The Universities at Shady Grove
- Bridgewater College
- Franklin University
- Future Generations University
- Mary Baldwin University
- University of Virginia (Main Campus)
- Eastern Mennonite University (Roselawn)
- Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Laurel Ridge Community College
We Will Fight For Your Future
At Big Valley Law, our defense attorney understands the complexities of Title IX proceedings; we protect their legal rights and build a vigorous defense. If you are a student being investigated for sexual misconduct or facing disciplinary action, contact us immediately. Call Big Valley Law at 540-904-0243 or reach out online to schedule a consultation.