Big Valley Law Is Here For You

Can I change my mind after entering a plea deal?

On Behalf of | Jun 18, 2023 | Criminal Defense

If you are indicted and charged with a crime, either the prosecution or your defense may propose a plea deal. As the name suggests, a plea deal generally allows someone to plead guilty to a lesser crime in return for lenient sentencing. A plea deal allows for an expedited legal process and a predictable outcome.

A plea deal, however, has its shortcomings too. For instance, you may not appeal the final verdict. As such, it is extremely critical that you weigh its merits and demerits before accepting one. With that said, there are some circumstances under which you may be permitted to vacate a plea deal that has already been agreed to.

If you were coerced into accepting the plea deal

Before adopting a plea deal, the court will first ask if you voluntarily accepted the deal and whether you understood the resulting legal implications. In other words, your legal team must provide you with adequate information regarding the plea deal before you can accept it in an informed way. If you were coerced or tricked into accepting the deal, then you may have grounds for changing your mind.

If there is new evidence that casts doubt on your guilt

The essence of a conviction is to punish a criminal offender and deter them from additional criminal wrongdoing. But you should never pay the price for a crime that you did not commit. If new evidence emerges, like DNA evidence that exonerates you from the crime in question, then you have the legal right to appeal your conviction. And this includes the right to change your mind after entering a plea deal.

Protecting your rights

A criminal conviction can impact your life in a myriad of ways. Learning more about the criminal justice system can help you defend against charges more effectively. Seeking legal guidance is a good place to start.

Practice Areas


FindLaw Network